Monday, September 10, 2012

A New Perspective

This morning I had an appointment with my dentist.  As I was getting ready, I was thinking about the experience ahead of me.  First of all, I don't like the dentist's chair.  I don't really like having to lay back;  since I suffered a concussion two years ago I sometimes get dizzy going from a vertical to horizontal position or vice versa.  And I don't think there's a person in the whole wide world who can honestly say that they enjoy going to the dentist.  Even though dentists are so much better today about making you as comfortable as possible, every time I have to go I still get knots in my stomach and I catch myself clenching my teeth.  But this morning something else was weighing on my mind.  It wasn't the possibility of bad breath or accidentally biting the hygienist's finger while trying to respond to her question.  No, what was striking terror in my heart today was the infamous overhead light!

All of a sudden I realized that any imperfection on my face would be illuminated like a Christmas tree on Christmas Eve.  I could only imagine that the pores around my nose look like the craters on the moon's surface, the eyebrow hairs I missed look like the Amazon forest, and the circles under my eyes look like a raccoon's mask.  With the exception of my wedding day, I don't believe I have ever taken as much time putting on make-up as I did today.  But there's no foundation or concealer that can hide the zits that decided to pop up the night before.

Luckily the hygienist didn't mention anything about my pores or my unplucked eyebrows, or dark circles under my eyes.  All she really mentioned was my lack of flossing but considering what she had to look at while she worked, I figure that a little plaque wasn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

  1. The mirror is a scary scary site for me each morning. lol.. You asked about the Maidenhair fern, darling it's faux, the best faux I've found. Hope you have a good w/k. hugs ~lynne ~

    ReplyDelete